Sunday, June 1, 2008

Tornado warning!

On May 22nd we had a tornado warning. The girls were at school and they each had to go to their designated tornado areas. For Emily it was a girl’s bathroom and she thought it was so funny that even the boys in her class went in the girl’s bathroom. Rachel was the most scared and was crying for a while. Laura was upstairs taking a nap and it started to rain very hard. I was watching the storm when I saw the biggest hail I had even seen start bouncing off the ground and then the warning sirens went off I grabbed Laura and went to the basement. It was scary for a while but the storm soon pasted.

A big tornado did touch down in a town called Windsor which is about 30 minutes north of Longmont and did a lot of damage there. One person was killed and many homes were destroyed. Tim went with the church to help in the clean up effort and he was surprised by the extent of the damage. We were thankful to be safe and pray for those families that lost their homes.

I included a couple of pictures to show you the hail I collected from the backyard. I put a quarter in one picture to show the comparison is size.

3 comments:

Kristine said...

Wow, that is crazy! I'm glad that only Rachel was scared during the warning. That is a stressful time for teachers and students!I am so grateful you are all safe. Love ya!

Diana Waite said...

Wow! I don't know where I would've gone if we were there still, no basement....I am SO glad that everyone was okay. It is sort of funny the boys in the girls bathroom!

cemarcano said...

I'm glad to hear you were all safe. We had a scare here ourselves, but the tornadoes passed below and above us. We did get some pretty nasty hail though. I've never seen hail quite so large. I saw the damage to Windsor on the news. Scary!